Author Topic: 2021 March Madness Info  (Read 227 times)

Doug

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Turbo Tourney
2021 March Madness Info
« on: March 08, 2021, 04:17:40 pm »
Just thought I'd start a general thread about this year's tournament since it's going to be just a slightly different year than normal.

If you haven't heard yet, the 1st Round games don't start until Friday, March 19th instead of the usual Thursday after the pairings come out.  Here is a link to the complete schedule: https://www.ncaa.com/final-four/broadcast-info

The other (decent) news is that there will not be any juggling of the bracket, moving teams around, if a team must withdraw due to a Covid outbreak.  A team could be replaced within 48 hours of releasing the brackets on Sunday, however.  More details can be found here:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-tournament-bracket-contingencies-set-for-teams-and-replacements-if-they-are-affected-by-covid-19/

Hopefully this year goes off without a hitch!
Thanks
Doug
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 07:26:57 pm by Doug »

brettalexander74@gmail.com

• View Profile
Re: 2021 March Madness Info
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 12:06:00 am »
On the off chance that both teams in a game have to cancel due to covid, how will the software assign points since the game will have no winner

Doug

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Turbo Tourney
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 07:47:41 am »
Yeah, that's the one scenario I've also thought of so far that doesn't have any great solution.  The only one I can think of so far is that I'll just have to randomly pick one of the teams as the winner (probably the lowest seed for the least impact) and the player picks in the pool would have to be changed to be the "losing" team so that it's counted as a loss for everyone.  I should be able to provide some kind of utility that would would go through the picks and make those adjustments though.

There is no configuration in the software to just score 0 points for a given game and bracket-based pools can't have "ties/pushes" so that's about the best I can think of right now.  I'll keep giving it some thought though or welcome other suggestions as well.

Doug
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 08:26:37 am by Doug »

ttracker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 09:43:28 pm »
Just a thought and don't know if it possible.  What if that particular game gets a split of the points assigned to the round it happens in.  So in my pool where the points are 1,2,4,8,16,32 if the game happens in the third round, each player would get 2 points.  Does the software allow for that possibility? I run a football pool with confidence points and the confidence points assigned are split in the event of a tie game.

Doug

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Turbo Tourney
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 11:13:05 pm »
Yeah no such possibility exists in the software for that.  For pools like NFL it can accommodate ties/pushes just fine but in single-elimination brackets there is no such concept.  From what I understand, once the tournament starts even if a team gets a positive covid test as long as 5 players are negative the team will still be allowed to played so I think the scenario of both teams in a game not being able to play might be slimmer than we are suspecting but only time will tell.